Saturday, November 17, 2012

Amazing Creating Space


I love to look at the amazing artist’s spaces now being published on the shiny pages of magazines.  I also have to laugh.  I have never known an artist whose work space was picture worthy.  Perhaps a fire marshal’s concern but not a show place. 

My studio
I spent a lot of time worry about the constant chaos I seem to naturally create without even being aware it is happening.  As soon as I think about someone walking through the door, I see it all with a different light.  My piles of books, fabric, threat, paper, beads, rusty things, paint and supplies cover every surface.  Partially completed projects are stack on the top of most piles.  Little pieces of drying detail bits are poking out of everything else like hidden jewels.  The floor is like a crunchy collage of little scraps of paper, beads and other interesting things. 

The thought of someone seeing my “mess” used to tie my stomach in knots. Guilt, shame, and embarrassment would kick into overdrive.  All the voices of judgment from my childhood sound off like a chorus of cheerleading chants.  Obviously I was not who I should be!

Something has happened in the last few years.  I have a different understanding of myself.  A diagnosis of ADD explained my constant struggle with organization.  It is not an excuse.  It is a realization that my mind works differently than many.  It is part of who I am.  With the ADD also comes an imagination and creativity that is in constant motion, the inclination to take risks, and the ability to get a lot done. 
 

The mess of my studio is really a reflection of my mind.  Before you cover your mouth with an “OMG!”-- wait.  My mind is busy and clutter with a multitude of ideas, memories, dreams, curiosity, awe, and a jumble of other things.  I have interests that span a large spectrum, not far enough to include football or country music, but big enough for me to teach college level logic or figure out how to make it possible for the most severely physically impaired child to paint.  I rarely get bored and I can carry on a conversation with almost anyone.   

It no longer bothers me to bring visitors into my studio spaces.  Did you catch that?  I have multiple spaces.  I have an outside area, a place to do messy tools work (saws, sanders, drill press, etc), a small room for glass, and my main workspace that doubles as my bedroom.  I never fail to be inspired to create something when I am in my different spaces. 

As I have been more willing to bring people into my space and my creating, I have found myself embracing my crazy messiness.  People are drawn to different things.  They ask questions.  I explain techniques, help problem solve, and receive ideas and suggestions about different projects.  I am part artist, part tour guide and part teacher. 

There are far more people who seem relieved by my mess and hear more confessions about other people’s messes than I ever hear people trying to fix my issues.  Most important to me, I discovered as people come into my workspace, they find motivation and inspiration.  Nothing makes me happier than that.

In my mind I carry two images of childhood.  One is the neatly planted wheat fields which would emerge from the piles of snow each spring.  The other image is of an overgrown yard of an abandon house.  Some times in the height of summer, the house was barely visible.   Various plants, flowers and weeds fought the way through an old wire fence.  Inside plants competing for ground, water, and sunlight covered the ground hiding whatever else was there.  The image of the field was and is a sign of hope of the coming spring and summer.  But the lot of the abandon house called to my soul.  I wanted to explore.  I wanted to discover what treasures were hidden there.  I wanted to know about whose house it used to be.  It was a magical place in my imagination. 
 

The universe itself is like the lot of the abandon house and my studio.  It is cluttered with birthing, living, and dying things.  It has its own beauty and mystery.  It has its own music.  It calls me to discover new places inside myself and beyond. 

No comments:

Post a Comment